This is perhaps one of the best TED Talks I have ever watched.
If you want to succeed as bad as you want to breathe, you will succeed!
Today’s Prompt: We all procrastinate. Website, magazine, knitting project, TV show, something else — what’s your favorite procrastination destination?
With the amount of things that I need to do on a daily basis, I rarely have the time to think about procrastinating and just get on with what I need to do. There are, however, some instances when I really put off the most difficult or mundane tasks ’till last. In these cases, I have developed a strategy which I call ‘Positive Procrastination’ (others might have been doing this as well, although I am not aware).
Here’s what I do:
- First, I identify and write down the task that I wish to put off and the small tasks that I actually quite enjoy.
- Second, I will rank the little enjoyable tasks in order of which one needs to be done first.
- I will complete the first little enjoyable task.
- Once the first task is finished, I will spend 5 minutes (literally 5 minutes – I have a timer) of my time starting the activity that I want to put off. This could mean just turning on my computer if I’m about to write an essay.
- Then, I’ll complete the second liitle enjoyable task.
- Then, I will spend 10 minutes of my time carrying on with my boring/unenjoyable task.
I will carry on this pattern until I ran out of enjoyable tasks. By the time this happens, I would have either completed my boring task, or have gone half way through, which will make me feel immensely happy (and smug).
We often hear of people (just like ourselves at times) who put ‘good health’ last of their priorities list. People sometimes say that this is because of work, tight deadlines, money and time. However, people do not often realise that we cannot function very well, if at all, when we are not healthy, and the repercussions are at times catastrophic. Deadlines will not be met if you cannot function well. We may need to take time off work and/ or school, and at times,may spend or lose money.
Still not convinced that you need to put your own health at the top of your list? Try to do this:
1. Write a list of 5-10 most important people in your life right now. Leave a few lines after each name.
2. Against their names, write one to three reasons why your being healthy is important to them.
3. Read the list that you have made everyday.
4. Well, aren’t you gonna act now??!!